Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have employed a variety of walking sticks over the years - everything from sticks picked up along the trail to elaborate collapsible ski-type poles (fairly pricey). They are versatile, useful in all kinds of terrain and in many diverse situations. I have had a little training with batons and their potential for use in self defense, or even attack, is pretty obvious, depending upon what type you are carrying.

Want sturdy and stout? - get a replacement shovel handle from the hardware store, put a loop on the end, and you have a handy tool - quite adequate as a weapon and for other purposes.

Want cheap? Find a natural piece of wood of the right thickness and heft, modify it a bit and you will be in business. One of these was my very favorite until I lost it last year.

Want high tech and versatile? Spend $40 or up for a collapsible walking stick - brands include Leki or Komperdell, among others, and you will have a very nice tool that stows away easily, makes a nice tent pole, and is very useful for detecting snakes, moving brush, or as a camera monopod. Can be used for defense, of course, although it is a bit light.

Remember - jab, don't swing......

Agreed. id add that a pole et al. is just a tool to keep someone/something away. A true deterrent requires showing it is a threat. if your worried, carry pepper spray or stun gun as well