If leaving the building, I've always taken my purse because I never have enough pockets (if any) to carry even the basics (wallet/keys/phone) -- the universal EDC items for most people in the past decade.

So, fellas wishing to help the females be more prepared: focus on the purse.

But don't make it too heavy or she won't carry it, unless she is personally committed to the cause.

Intra-office carry is the quandary for females. Because of 9/11 and anthrax and close proximity to both, I became paranoid enough to take my purse to every meeting outside of my immediate vicinity. This is a habit that has persisted.

For office workers who do meetings that may take them away from their desk, a commonly-carried accoutrement - by both sexes - is the zippered leather portfolio.

Pretty limiting but even a sleek portfolio could stash cash, a key, a credit-card-size survival tool, small matchbook (or tiny firesteel). A tiny e-Pico or flat light could fit in mine. A black e-Pico light would not be too out of place hooked to the zipper of my black leather portfolio.

I wonder if anyone is marketing a survival portfolio -- there are James Bondian possibilities to starting from scratch with the entire design. Hit a button - out pops the BK-7. Another button - the zip line unspools....