I like th esbit because it's an inexpensive, simple, lightweight, versatile and pretty durable piece of kit that heats things up pretty well. I can use it per directions, use the fuels tabs without the stove, or I skip the tabs and use the esbit stove like a hobob stove for a small wood fire.

That said, hikermor's law comes into play. I'm thinking about getting a Jet Boil as my back-up (to the campfire) for the colder months of the year, when I really want to eat something hot and substantial. My main cooking method other than flame roasted, is boiling, so while the esbit is good, the Jet Boil sounds better. (That is except for the weight, size and cost, of course.)

Of course, the reality for me is that I've so very rarely needed anything more a campfire or my esbit, that I'm having a hard time justfying the cost. I've owned a micro stove for 10 or 11 years, and I've only used it three or four times. I having a hard time justifying purchasing another one.

Another way the esbit shines through is that I can store it in my pack in my vehicle and not worry about it being affected by temperture fluxuations. I've never felt comfortable leaving liquid or gas fuel in the vehicle. Not sure if that's a justified concern or not, but it is another factor in my decision to carry an esbit.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA