Looking at the pics of Springfield, MA -- http://news.yahoo.com/gas-explosion-levels-mass-buildings-several-hurt-010509036.html
Quote:
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — A natural gas explosion in one of New England's biggest cities on Friday destroyed two buildings and damaged others beyond repair but didn't kill anyone, authorities said.

Firefighters and gas company workers were among more than a dozen injured people, they said.

The explosion in a downtown area of Springfield, 90 miles west of Boston, blew out all windows in a three-block radius, leaving three more buildings irreparably damaged and prompting emergency workers to evacuate a six-story apartment building that was buckling. ...

Hmmm, Hardhat, face mask/respirator including eye protection, boots, flashlight, whistle... That said, in a pocket sized Altoids kit you can fit a dust mask folded down, a whistle and a Photon type light. Then again, I never tried it disliking Altoids tin kits as I do; she will need to decide what she is willing to carry.

I'd prefer to have a kit in my vehicle compatible with its size which would have gear more adaptable to other emergencies. This is only one specific scenario.