Originally Posted By: Montanero
I would also recommend looking at trying this with an eye to your routes... What resources are along that route? What potential safe areas? What potential threats?

That's a great idea. The route I used was primarily on our city's bike/pedestrian pathway system so the vast majority of my walk felt fairly remote; this time of year the sun goes down before I'm done work & there are a few spots that you'd scream at people for walking into during a horror movie smile.

The big thing is picking the pedestrian routes that will take me over the main highway safely, but there should be at least one or 2 other major ways for me to get from here to there that I can check out.

Actually, another note regarding situation awareness that I forgot to mention was the use of headphones & my iPod. I started of my trip listening to music but, primarily because my route was shared mostly by cyclists, I quickly put the music away.

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
re: foot care...our cross country team tapes up potential hot spots with duct tape first, and that heads off a lot of problems...

I actually did have moleskin in my small FAK and, even though I could feel some of those hot-spots during the last half, I just didn't want to stop & treat it like I might have if I was out in a more recreational environment. Maybe that's a mindset change I need to make.