Originally Posted By: Russ
Sur Until his navigation skills are demonstrated, he needs to keep that signalling stuff available regardless of added weight. If he doesn't know how to use compass and map, the bright orange/hot pink tape should be part of his system. Have him deploy some in the wild when you have an opportunity and then stand back and see just how visible it is.

Right you are Russ. His instructions are to stay put and let us find him, and he knows that his job is to make finding him as easy as possible by making noise and having as big a foot print as possible.

I took him and my nephew out a couple of years ago and we did basically what you suggest - we set up various signals like tape, an orange garbage bag, an orange scarf tied to a tree, etc., and we walked further and further away to see how visable it was. Then we did the same with whistles. They thought it was pretty neat and it made a good impression on them

Surveyors tape as the added benefit of not only being bright colour but it also moves with the wind so provides more contrast.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA