You are stating CR123A is superior to AA as if that were a fact. If you are comparing LITHIUM CR123A to ALKALINE AA, then yes, CR123A is superior.

However, when comparing apples to apples - lithium to lithium, or Li-Ion to Li-Ion - the CR123A is not really superior. You might get a slight bit more of capacity. In some ways CR123A's are inferior. One: The form factor - CR123A's are fat compared to AA's. Of course, AA's are longer. But in terms of carrying a flashlight in your pocket, a single AA light is much nicer than a single CR123A light. A single AAA light is even more comfortable, but those are just too low capacity for anything except dim lighting needs (which is a valid need). Two: Compatibility - Things that run on Lithium AA's can also run on alkaline AA's. Things that run on CR123A's can also run on ... CR123A's. No such thing as an "alkaline CR123A". So we have two strikes against CR123A's right there. Form factor and compatibility. Add to that their lesser availability and significantly higher price, and you have strike three - you're out. Back in the days when the best you could get in an AA was an alkaline, the CR123A was superior. But those days are gone now.

I realize I am using the terms "AA" and "CR123A" loosely above. I am referring to the form factor of these cells. A 14500 is not really an AA (except in form factor). Nor is a RCR123 or 16340 really a CR123A (except in form factor). But for purposes of the points I am trying to make, form factor is what I need to refer too.