Most riots that are not event related have tended to be in certain parts of major urban areas in the USA. There just have not been serious riots in rural and suburban areas.

Your risk of exposure to riots is pretty low if you live a few miles away from those parts of urban areas that are most likely to have riots.

If you live in an urban area, you need to look at how close you are to areas that might have riots. Well to do and middle class areas of urban areas don't typically have riots, at least in residential areas.

Riots are uncommon during inclement or cold weather as well.

It is hard to be PC and still be specific about what the true risk factors are but I think most of us are clued in well enough to understand what they are without them being spelled out.

One thing to keep in mind is how the city authorities will handle a riot may well affect you too. Most cities in the past have adopted the tactic of letting the riot go on as long as the riot is in places the city just does not care much about in the first place. as long as urban renewal is in progress, they probably won't take any aggressive steps to quell the disturbances.

If the riot threatens to spread, they will try to direct it away from areas they consider important, or at least try to contain it. Look at your city map and see what features might be used. If there are rivers flowing through your city, it is relatively easy to close a bridge and keep a riot from spreading across the river. If you are not on the riot side of the river, that is good for you. If you are on the riot side of the river, it may funnel the riot your direction.

Bob