Quote:
I would avoid saying "I don't know" -- it sends the wrong message about the currency of your skills and/or your level of motivation.

Doug , what you are saying is correct in a professional organization where everyone knows their limits. In this case, CEOs do not know their limits and/or they are not professional in the way they are treating their employees. If a CEO asks me to fix his kid's laptop, and it is getting on my nerves , I would tell him I don't know. He can take it at face value ( that I really don't know) or he can be smart enough to understand that I am fed up with this nonesense. Either way, I don't care. YMMV.

Picard, FWIW, you are not alone in facing such stressful problem. If it makes you feel better, other folks face delimmas like this not at work but at home, and they do not have the option of leaving or even stressing the situation futher. I know some people who have stressful relations with their dads. I also have a friend who had a very bad marraige . I often wonder (how this guy and his wife managed to have kids while they were fighting all the time).

Finallly he had enough and left her. But in most cases , leaving a spouse is harder than quitting a job. I am not saying you quit, but trying to make you see your problem with a less apocalyptic attitude.