i was talking about a constriction proximal to the wound.

what I got out of the responses is that possibly it's not worth the effort - and just better to go with direct hard pressure.

let's set aside the possibility of a constriction band. and we'll just look at a practical situation. suppose you've got someone with arterial bleeding, maybe from a forearm as a result of a slash with a knife. The immediate response (from me or bystanders) would be to get direct pressure on the wound. most likely this could just involve skin against flesh, or possibly some loose clothing pressed against the wound.

it seems as though it would be preferable to actually remove the clothing (used as a bandage) and replace with bandages, or better still bandages impregnated with Celox. Hence if bleeding has not stopped in say a few minutes (3-5 mins) ... maybe try a very fast release of pressure, removal of blood-soaked clothing, and application of new bandages and more pressure.

the issue here is what the first responder does immediately (and this could be the patient themselves), and what the first-aid provider does as soon as they arrive.

Pete2