I'm just an amateur here - but try to stay up with what's happening because I might really need to use it overseas (at least on myself).

1. Get the best training you can. In the USA - this is unlikely to be a standard wilderness med course. They just don't teach enough stuff. You can enroll in the tactical med courses, which are often taught because US military people are going overseas. That's a lot better. Keep in mind that you cannot go out and do that stuff on US citizens within our own borders ... but you can do it on yourself. Otherwise, go to some country like Israel and take training there.

2. The subject of what to do about open wounds seems to keep going thru cycles. Yep, for a long time the advice was to avoid strong iodine and just use soapy water. That's probably OK if the contaminating environment is somewhat user-friendly. Probably not OK of you are in a very unhygienic situation. Your idea of dilute iodine is interesting. I often put Neosporin on minor cuts and scrapes. I knew a nurse who insisted that Neosporin was too aggressive and that silver medications were the best - but they cost a fortune. I've never had a problem with Neosporin.

3. Do not throw away tourniquets and pressure points. There are definitely ways that you can have blood vessels penetrated and "direct pressure" wont' work. It's uncommon - but could happen. I think it's best to keep all options open.

4. The military has made some major advances in stopping blood flow. Look into the products QuickClot and Celox. This stuff is amazing! QuickClot will develop heat - so be careful applying a lot of it. Celox is based on organics made from shrimp - so might be a problem for people with seafood allergies. But these new inventions can be true lifesavers in a case where you have critical arterial bleeding. I will be adding some syringes filled with Celox to my personal med kit this month (but that's because I am travelling out of the US).

good luck.
and I am interested in what everyone has to offer.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (11/07/12 06:06 PM)