Originally Posted By: M_a_x
What happens at work, stays at work.

I was thinking more about this and disagree with it as a rule, but I agree with the general principle I think it is getting at - balance is key & you can't let your work life take over your personal life.

For me, this balance is a 2 way street. I like the flexibility of being able to get work done during "home hours" but I balance that with the flexibility of being able to personal things done during "work hours." I think this also helps keep stress levels in check. For example, if I need to knock off early to deal with a personal issue, I don't worry that I'm not getting my hours; I know it will balance out when I need to get some extra work done at home. The goal is to not neglect any aspect of my life, personal or professional, at the expense of the other.

This allows me to tend to my family's needs in a hands-on way by doing things like attending doctor's appointments and teacher meetings that crop up during the day. Frankly, if I didn't have the opportunity to take work home with me I wouldn't be able to support my family in these ways which could end up negatively affecting the personal aspects of my life and I think staying low-stress is something that has to be holistic, not compartmentalized.

Speaking of not compartmentalizing life, one thing I omitted earlier was the aspect of spiritual health. A robust faith can aid greatly in dealing with stressful situations. Having gone through things like children's health problems (chronic health issues, surgery, hospitalizations, etc.), the trust I have provides a great measure of assurance and peace that brought me through those situations strong and relatively stress free.