Originally Posted By: gulliamo
Agreed. But none of those seem like a "run-for-the-woods" scenario. I'm not sure of a plausible scenario where "run-for-the-woods" would be advisable yet that is what many here seem to be preparing for. That was my point.

Sorry to derail the thread... back to storm updates.

I don't think it's a derail, but an important point of clarification. We need to be clear that "run" doesn't necessarily "run-for-the-woods". Our familie's going to a local hotel/family/friend's house kit is very different from our get-the-heck-out-of-Dodge kit.

BUT...it's important to realize that the two could easily merge, at least for a time, during the evac. Bugging-out, when there's regional fuel shortages for exampe, could easily turn into a more, shall we say, rustic experience, along the route to getting to our chosen destination, especially if thousands of other people are trying to do the same thing. Running out of gas, having to wait overnight (or longer) to refuel, for a blizzard to pass, etc. are all very real possibilities. We've had countless examples on ETS of people trying to get from one home to another or to a hotel, who got stuck along the way because of storms, power failures, etc. You can be smack in the middle of civilization and still be reduced to living out of your pack.

We also need to keep in mind that if we're need to bug-out to a public shelter, that isn't the same as a hotel. Many people affected by Hurricane Sandy and seeking public shelter, were advised to bring bedding, hygiene, etc. to the shelters with them. Just because a shelter is set-up, doesn't mean it will be stocked.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA