I am no practitioner or expert. Much of what I learned came from a trauma care class I took aimed at firearms instructors and RSOs. The class was based on the TCCC Guidelines, and taught by a former combat medic and civilian paramedic. If you haven't taken such a course, I strongly recommend it.

1) Direct pressure is great and works much of the time. Pressure points don't work. Hemostatic agents work extremely well and should be used for life-threatening bleeds or where direct pressure fails. Tourniquets are called for in life-threatening extremity bleeds. While its best to use a purpose-made tourniquet its better to improvise one and deal with the tissue damage than have your patient bleed to death.

2) Use lots and lots of clean water to wash out wounds that need cleaning. BZK towelettes are good for cleaning and disinfecting wound sites. Alcohol disinfects but it also damages tissue and retards healing.

3) I tend to use Neosporin on small wounds, it appears to me that they heal faster. Medical practitioners recommend against topical antibiotics because they attract dirt. Cover wounds when you have to but keep their bandages dry and clean.

4) Never close a wound in the field if you're not a practitioner and have any other option. Steri-strips can still trap germs in the wound.