I am learning the recommended methods for dealing with wounds in the field. Most is what I’ve picked up here, and in the book Back Country First Aid by Buck Tilton, which I think I bought because I saw it highly recommended here.

Here is where I am so far, and I would appreciate any critique or feedback:

1. Direct pressure will stop almost any bleeding. Forget pressure points and especially tourniquets.

2. Disinfect wounds with a non-alcohol based disinfectant. I used to like hydrogen peroxide, but am leaning more toward diluted povidone-iodine. BUT: Back Country First Aid says to not bother unless the wound is really filthy. They advocate using just a stream of plain sterile water, using povidone-iodine only to sterilize the water if it is suspect. I am having trouble with not disinfecting a wound.

3. I’ve been a believer in topical anti-bacterial treatment, i.e. Polysporin. But it seems here at ETS most people advocate just keeping the wound dry and clean, uncovered. The old folk wisdom, “Just let air get at it”, seems to be making a resurgence. But Back Country First Aid recommends something completely different for dirty or infected wounds: pack it with moist gauze, and cover with dry gauze. I guess I like a mix of the two: keep it dry, except for a light dab of Polysporin, and keep it covered, but vigilantly changing the bandage when damp. I find with uncovered wounds I am constantly bumping them and getting them re-opened or dirty, and a protective bandage is a comfort.

4. Sutures are out, and Steri-strip butterflies can handle just about anything a suture will without the risk of causing infection or irritation.

So what’s the general opinion on this topic, and the points I mention in particular?

Thanks!

David