Originally Posted By: gulliamo
Quick update: While we're all sorted we have neighbors that still don't have power and won't until the 10th! The gas stations have 2-4 hour waits. The temp is dropping.

What this tells me: You can't rely on timely local power restoration. Your generator won't have enough fuel. Bug out to the hills isn't a good option as society hasn't collapsed and you still need to go to work/school/etc. (it seems many on this forum can't wait to execute this option).

Conclusion: #1 Survival Kit item = Social Network. Ensure you have a good network of friends and neighbors. Open up your door to them when they have issues and it will be open to you when you do.

Great observations, gulliamo, except maybe the "many on this forum can't wait to bug-out" part. In my experience, most people this forum think bug-in first. In fact, most of the recent Hurricane Sandy posts reflect that. Most of us seem to be trying increase our bug-in abilities. Martin's tread is an excellent example of families preparing as best they can to bug-in and communities pulling together to make things work as best they can.

There are some very valid reasons why some have and will consider bugging-out in these circumstances. Your post reflects this very well. Soaked by flooding, freezing temps moving in, already been without power for a week and serious fuel shortages in the region, seem like pretty valid reasons for some people to bug-out to me. Very few people, especially in the area hit by this storm, have the ability to be self-sifficient indefintiely.

The thing that I find interesting, is the tipping point between when to stay and when to go. You made it through the event and you're past the initial 72 hour period. It's been a week now and you're soaked, powerless, supplies are running low either at home or at stores/gas stations or both, etc. but civilization is right around the corner. Emergency services are slowly staring to arrive but your tropical storm is now turning into a winter storm. If you've got the fuel and have a destination, do you go?