Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

There are even now reports of more Hospitals such as Bellevue Hospital Centre being evacuated within New York, which were previously using backup generators, which would suggest a lack of fuel which is unable to make its way into the city, although the news report is suggesting ongoing flooding where the generators are located in the hospital basement.

Bingo. Every hurricane I can remember there have been hospitals that had generators in the basement, and every time everyone clucks at how dumb that was, and with the next hurricane it happens again. The operating license system may have to be changed to stop this.

Quote:

I don't want to yet compare this to a Katrina New Orleans type situation

It's not anywhere close to that.

Originally Posted By: Jolt

Not to mention, where are they going to find beds for all those patients?

USNS Comfort

News reports indicate that NYU had their generators on the roof, and they evacuated at least one day before Bellvue. So location doesn't matter that much.

In addition to sewage in the flood waters, don't forget that wildlife gets swept inshore w/ the current. Can you imagine trudging to the gas station and a shark or jellyfish brushes past you?

Re: voting. Can't be changed w/o Congress passing a new law, which we know probably won't happen. However, apprarently there's some flexibility in how soon the state has to appoint their electoral college voters. I doubt it's going to ultimately matter as much as we think. A lot of people will have to go to new voter locations, but I have a feeling there's still going to be paper ballots available. Maybe, just maybe, the news channels won't tell everyone that the election is won/lost by 6pm that day.

As for the Comfort, don't count on it. It's big, unmanned, and a converted oil tanker, with only space for 1 helo. The Navy is sending 3 LHA/LHD's right now - they have room for possibly hundreds to thousands of patients, have a (small) medical staff that can be augmented quickly, and the top deck IS the landing pad.