Folks headed to the stores to shop I hope you're making a list of things you need on hand before the next storm. Convenience shopping this close to landfall gets tenuous and some of the participants get sketchy.

Keep up on your prescription meds and you'll avoid pharmacies. I know a compounding pharmacist who sees a lot of desperate demands for oxycodone and vicodin on the eve of any storm. Why enter sketchy situations...

Out here in the PNW we have the M7.7 quake off the Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwaii) north of Vancouver BC, with a swarm of dozens of M4-M5 after shocks. We're lucky its a sparsely inhabited area ~550 miles away from Seattle; someday this will happen off the Pacific coast of Portland or maybe Forks, WA. Mentally I've been taking in the scenario since last night and I can confirm, assuming we make it through the first quake all our preps will come in handy, and there won't be any need let alone opportunity to run to the store for supplies - we'll be on our own for 7+ days without resupply. And all those after shocks will be raising the anxiety level and possibly causing additional damage to homes and infrastructure. Things would be fairly intense around here - a need for calmer minds. A lot like you folks out in the path of H. Sandy.

This afternoon I'll hold a short demo for family on how and where to turn off water and gas to the house, and will verify no one has pillaged our wet and cold weather emergency gear - because last night's BC quake took place in driving rain and 45 degrees F, which would chill us to the bone if our primary shelter was set ablaze by a broken gas line.

Hunker down folks, Godspeed and best of luck to you all.

Edited by Lono (10/28/12 04:53 PM)