Originally Posted By: AKSAR
There are a few situations that might require instant action. In first aid that might be blood squirting from and artery, or someone who has stopped breathing. Certainly there are a few other cases where one needs to react instantly, like a weapon jam during a firefight. However, in 90% of survival situations, you will be better off taking a coulple of seconds to calm down, assess the situation, and think clearly.

Those are situations where training and rehearsal play a big part. Other situations, such as equipment preparedness - including training in its use - require considerable pre-planning with time to re-think blind alleys. Still other situations, such as avoiding numerically superior pursuers, call for solid thinking on your feet.

My wife tends to over-think matters -- seeing great danger where the actual hazard is relatively small and the odds of it happening at all are slim. I tend to take a more fatalistic view that I have prepared as well as I am able and will deal with matters as they arise. Short of death, no defeat is absolute. And if death is the outcome, my worries - such as they are - are over.

Good forum - good thread. I like this place.