I have seen them on my street early in the morning, before it got light. I was out loading the car for a trip and when I pulled onto the street there was a coyote running up the road.

I used to shop at a grocery store that was known for having coyotes in the parking lot and they'd occasionaly take a bag away from someone. They also frequent the park that is across the road from the market, as do javelina, wild peccary.

Coyotes in the deseert SW tend to be smaller and usually not too interactive with people. In some areas they have taken pets and livestock from people's yards and farms. Coyotes are all over the area.

I have never had a problem with them and never been worried about them, at all. Mountain lions are a different matter. They used to never be a problem but since we have had some drought years they seem to be roaming closer to civilization. Bears as well. We had our first bear caused death in the state this past year and that was lady walking her dog on her neigborhood streets. We also had a bear attack recently of a camper at a campground. Again, the drought seems to be a factor.

I will say one thing about the coyote, they are smart and adaptive and nothing seems to phase them. I would not want to deal with a hungry pack while out alone, although never worry about that around here. The coyotes are well fed with small game.