Protection varies. Girl has stopped 2 people in their tracks out with Mrs,she has slime-oid radar,as she perceives,homeless smelly types are NOT encouraged.Had a guy in dirty camo step on to trail from hill as Mrs entered,She was up on hind legs and lunged towards him,Mrs hadnt seen him.

Another was a homeless guy she passed that Girl just didnt like and got into offensive mode.I think she judges by smell a LOT.

Snookie has a different philosophy.NOBODY is trusted so she is always wary of strangers.And makes that clear,she doesnt do happy smiley puppy actions,more slinking and wary showing you arent welcome until introduced and still....she is tense for a good while.

Snookie will CHARGE ANY threat,Fearless of everything....Girl holds back and see's what Snookie is into before making her move.She used to charge too,until Snookie grabbed a skunk and sprayed Girl with it! shocked Boy was Girl PO'ed! Knocked Snookie around but good for that!

Girl will standby quietly and watch and assess a threat down the street,thats a good thing,doesnt alert them they are being watched. Not Snookie,Its here I am,come get me!

Nobody,including family,comes thru our gate,snookie goes wild dog,all you see are noses and teeth and serious barking at gate.

Both just their normal personalities. Both very home/vehicle defensive,both great appearance deterrents.In fact if I dont like the look of something I make sure they see the mutts,and the mutts get a good smell of them.

So Yes,to a degree they will defend. Both also will meet other animals as we walk and if its a problem put themselves between us and threat.Happened to me and Girl twice,and she is such a sweetie I was surprised she went out to meet the threat,and did.She took a bite for the home team,but got one back and coulda kicked dogs behind had I let her.

Ive spent thousands over the years in health costs on mutts,I too believe they are to be treated as well as finances allow,how I was raised.