Flying is certainly not as enjoyable as it was, say, in the 70s or 80s, but at least it is still a very safe way to get from here to there.

Most of my flying since retiring in 2000 is to South Dakota, where I have participated in an annual dig for mammoths in Hot Springs, South Dakota. I am there for a month, flying both ways. Each summer we bring in two crews of around twelve Earthwatch volunteers, who mostly fly in and out. Over the past twelve years, this group has made easily two hundred incoming flights. All or nearly all of them would have been connecting flights, with greater potential for lost or strayed luggage. There have been cases of delayed bags, perhaps one a season - twelve or so. Instances of items pilfered from luggage - none. I won't dispute that pilfering doesn't occur, but, from what I have experienced, it isn't rampant or out of control.

The worst thing about flying today is the crowding, high prices, and the inability to board without even an itty bitty knife with which to clean your fingernails. Oh, the flight attendants back then were prettier, but I am sure they could say the same thing about me (On the other hand, maybe I am just as ugly as ever)....