Originally Posted By: greenghost

Heck, I died on the operating table this past Feb and you'd think I'd have a blessed attitude but this seems to of messed my mind up in a subtle way. My doctor told me something of this magnatude puts people in a tailspin and suggested counseling to help me find my way back to the joy I once had.

I am an old er nurse, and therefore the least qualified of advice-givers: this is all IMHO, YMMV stuff:

Changing the amount of oxygen supplied to the brain, or any insult to brain tissue like concussion, changes the brain chemistry, and changing the brain chemistry is a big deal and lasts for a long time. It turns happy folks into sad, peaceful into violent, optimists into pessimists. This may not be a political issue but a physical/psychological one as your doc suggested. This is way too hard to do by yourself: counseling, medication, and lots of attention from really smart people for you and your family may be required. You are clearly a smart and sensitive guy, with a good grasp on the priorities in your life. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.