Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Bug out bags for Hotels sounds good, the main problem though, how to bag a room and how to get there with the rest of city of London, LA or New York deciding that a Hotel would be the place to head off too as well.

How do you book your room, if communications/power are out, how do you pay when most Hotels require a Credit Card and won't accept cash.

Hoping to bag a room, when you eventually get to your hotel of choice could be quite a risky option if you don't have something to fall back on in the BOB.

Having slept on the floor of many an airport, I can assure you that hotels are preferable, but not necessary.

Let us also evaluate several recent situations in NYC and London and see what happened.

Most recently, Hurricane Irene, an event in which yours truly was ordered to abandon his shore vacation by the Governor of the State of Delaware, and also a time where large swaths of New York City were placed under evacuation orders. Yes, the hotels filled - but the shelters opened and nobody who wanted a bed didn't have one.

Back a little further, 2003 - the great east coast blackout (again, I was on vacation...). Not only were hotels unable to process credit cards, cash machines were out. So they took a pad and paper, wrote down the guests information and charged them later. Or let them stay for free.

London's subway bombings. The city was shut down. Yet the milk got delivered, the electric got generated and life went on.

Over and over again, I think we see a fragile, ready to fall apart society when we forget just how strong our desire for stability and order is and how powerful the idea of "Keep Calm and Carry On" really is.

I think we could all take a lesson from this guy: