There was another time when I couldn't find a hotel and kept driving. Matybe it is useful to narrate this one too, although not related to the topic.

It was a 55 mph highway , and I was so exhausted, I was driving at 35 mph. Also, I was new to the U.S. knowing the language OK but not a whole lot about the rules and lifestyle. In my country, I have never heard of anyone stopped for driving "too slow". That was a new thing for me. LOL

Police stopped me, and asked me to walk in a straight line !! Now, for you guys , you know what uit means, but for me (please don't laugh) I thought : (%&^$%) .... This cop is "DRUNK", and he has a pistol !!! ... I am doomed.

Later on, he asked me if I was drinking something and I pointed at the orange juice bottle. When he opened and sniffed it, I began to understand what he was thinking and why he asked me to count and walk. LOL ... only then I felt some relief to explain to him that I found no vacant hotel room and was driving to find some motel somewhere.

While this is not within the scope of this thread, but understanding or misunderstanding others (especially in tense situations) can make a big difference. Make sure you put stuff in your bag that will help you better communicate with others. That includes small gifts , if need be.