I agree with the OP but an "emergency" means that circumstances are fluid and anything can change to anything anytime.

A few decades ago, I travelled to the U.S. for business and decided to have my annual vacation after business was done. My wife and I toured part of the U.S. and when we reached Disney , my wife liked it and we decided to sleep in a hotel and come again next day to see more of Disney. However, we just couldn't find a hotel vacancy in the area. So, we HAD TO keep driving to the next town

So, while we all prefer to reach a nice comfortable hotel room with a hot shower, it my not be available.

Also, you may plan to reach a friend's house, but on the way, the weather becomes so bad (or there are car problems) that you have to stop. And even though you are only a few feet from the highway, being there in bad weather, oe when the area is under some crisis, you are practically camping in the wilderness. That is why when I drive to visit my parents, I try to spot possible points of "emergency camping" if need be.

For the above considerations, I highly recommend we make sure that "wilderness camping" is always be taken in consideration.