Originally Posted By: spuds

A Bud runs a survival/prep store.He is down on MRE's because he says they constipate and are designed to do just that.Retired military....he cant understand why MRE's sell so well,he wont eat em!But I guess short term meals they have a place?

The best feature of MREs is the absolute ease and simplicity of preparation, plus the over packaging makes every meal like Christmas, as you unwrap your "presents." Most of those I have eaten have been in the guise of "fire rations," which are the same items rebranded and packed in boxes with different labels.

I think the story about constipation is a military urban legend (MUL), although it may be true. Back in the old brown boot army, we used to say the same thing about C rations. Either MREs or C rats taste great when you out in the field/fire line and the elegant restaurant with the wine list and tablecloths is unavailable....

With just a little foresight and planning, you can prepare meals that are lighter, more tasty and nutritious, and cheaper, right out of your local supermarket. But you will have to actually cook.