Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Don't just stick to the backyard though. Take that pack, or whatever you choose as a replacement, on some good strenuous hikes. You'll get in better shape, figure out how to pack everything better and quickly figure out whether you need/want to ditch weight. You'll be amazed at the difference things like spade/no spade, or your militray canteen & cup vs nalgene & oilcamp cup vs Gatorade bottle & small cup make.

Excellent advice, BPJ. Nothing like doing. Will also gain a far better appreciation for what distance is doable in a day, flat hiking v. hills, etc.

I know that I can do 8.8 miles/2400-foot down-and-up in about five hours on a 90-degree humid day. Or five miles on a flat canal path in a leisurely couple hours.

By the way, I highly recommend adding a hiking pole to the mix. A collapsible one that you can hook to the pack. Because of a bum knee, I'm partial these days to one with a cane-like handle. Here's one at REI's outlet for $22:

http://www.rei.com/product/831555/komperdell-walker-trekking-pole-single-2011-closeout