Greetings! I am also using the Medium Alice pack and my harness. I prefer the rugged capability and thus suffer with the weight factor.

I do agree with those comments listed before me although I haven't heard of, and thus haven't looked at the Molle modification. That does sound promising.

I am slowly moving gear from my Alice Pack to my harness, keeping lighter gear that I can live without in my pack. I am keeping more important items (to me anyway) in my combat harness.

Alice Pack: Food, Toilet Paper, OTC meds, sleeping bag, sleeping pad (Very important in winter), tent, extra set of clothing, small machete, etc.

Combat Harness: Compass, magnesium firestarter, pocket knife, bayonet, ammo, pistol, 2-1qt canteens, mess kit (Trangia), tender bag, weps cleaning kit, FAK, Pocho, Poncho Liner, and a couple of miscellaneous items.

I think I need to get a modern civilian back pack which would fit and ride better but I still like distributing the load between the Harness and Pack for reasons that you would understand but a civilian would not necessarily understand the reasoning of.

I'm am keeping the food supplies as light as possible, mixing modern freeze dried rations with old standby's: MRE's, Freeze dried, varieties of Jerky, instant foods like grits, cheese, crackers, trail mixes, etc.