Originally Posted By: Chisel
Eugene, I think I was not clear enough

spuds has mentioned that bicycles in the picture are used for gear ONLY . They are not for riding. I was commenting on these bicycles. If you notice the guy is pushing something that is not 100% alighned with his forward movement. He will be exrting some torque on ONE SIDE, and this is why one side of the handlebar was so long. The same guy could have moved the same load using a cart behind him easier than using this bike.

Saying it another way : Using this bike he spend TWO amounts of energy: one for moving forward, another for balancing the bike. Using a cart, he only pulls forward.

I may be right or wrong, but that is what I comparing. The "cargo bike vs cargo cart". I am not comparing walking beside the bike vs riding it.

I think we should leave this thread for mortorized BOV, and start another for bikes and carts.

Chisel- if your are not looking at riding, you have a point- a bike is not the best way. It does have an edge in versatility.
If you are looking at most distance with the most payload, the mechanical advantage of the bike is hard to overstate.
If you are looking at purely a cargo hauler over rough terrain, hmm- Chinese wheelbarrow vs pull behind cart....I think the key to either is having the load be as close to 100% on the vehicle, with wheels as large as possible.
It would be intresting to see what cargo amount one could load onto one of those two wheel scooters....