Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I've been trying to cut down on the bread and pasta, so have been grilling on a small tailgate size propane grill recently...

and it dawned on me..the bamboo skewers (cut the points off with a wire cutter after skewering) would be an excellent cooking method for a power out setting... sanitary...no clean up...utilize a small heat source from most any fuel....

perhaps an ancient society might have figured out the way to eat with minimum resources...we might better pay attention...
I went the 'traditional' food storage,ie,lots of carbs.....now Im thinking,after recent research has shown, that a high fat diet is actually good for you heart wise.That the caveman diet with lots of meat and fat may just have the science behind it to back up heart healthy claims. Sooooo many food myths that sound good on paper when in actuality have pretty much zero actual research to back it up. But thats another topic.....

Back to your Asian cooking.I like their emphasis on fast hot cooking,based on the fact that cooking fuel was a luxury for them. I used to cook steaks fast and hot on a grill with sticks/twigs on the ground in my starving student days (Lived in a bus in middle of desert),fast and hot,just 7 minutes approx for a steak,amazing!

So great post for that idea!
==============================
Phaedrus,those LRPs sound super if not a bit pricey. Looks like the Mtn House just in a heavier package,what a super item for the car BOB. I like Mtn House a lot,a little salty,but you will need that salt too in a survival situation.Good stuff!

A Bud runs a survival/prep store.He is down on MRE's because he says they constipate and are designed to do just that.Retired military....he cant understand why MRE's sell so well,he wont eat em!But I guess short term meals they have a place?