That has always been my concern when considering a route out of the Phoenix, Arizona area. The traffic on a holiday weekend heading north is enough to scare Mario Andretti. I cannot imagine getting far away from the valley area if all 5 million had to depart.

The options are some dirt roads that are not for cars but don't really require a 4x4, just plenty of clearance. I figure on those roads it may be possible to get out of the city, but maybe still very slow. The key would be to know the route, with alternates, if any and to prepare for a slow drive. It would surely help to get going as early as possible.

I must really admit that I have little bug out plans. The only thing I can see that may ever require me to leave the home is a power outage for a long period during the summer here. You would have to get to cooler country. I really can't think of too many other scenarios that would force an evacuation. If there was a reason, I can't imagine what it would be.

I do have a place to go to up north and it is prepped out by a friend and I have an invite. So, I could get out early and I would have about 120 miles to go, on back, dirt roads, if the Interstate was a parking lot, I think I would expect that and not even try the Interstate. So, all I need is some ground clearance and some water and a bag of clothes for all conditions. A firearm or 10 would be handy I would guess.