So I walked out of the TO hospital this week and the subway was broken. I took a long walk to get to an operating and not entirely overflowing station and learned a few things along the way:

*My ortho sandles suck for long distance walking. Socks and my merrells are returning to the starting line-up
*I got a hot spot on one foot so I've also added a couple of blister pads to my FAK
*Ditching the 2L nalgene and the tool kit made nice differnce in the weight of the pack
*I took a bottle of juice instead of my nalgene. Refills weren't an issue because this was a subway only event but if it was a more broad problem (like the 2003 East Coast black-out), my 2L bottle would have been welcome
*The officials at the closed subway station were very helpful with info but a radio will come in handy if it's a broader event. My new mp3 player with built-in fm tuner is great but I need to figure out a way to charge it on the fly (cel phone charger solution stil pending too, so I'm hoping for a combo solution)
*this trip was in broad daylight, on a hot summer day. That walking stick will be welcome in more adverse conditions
*having something warm was a blessing in a building that was over-compensating for the combo of pregnant women and a hot day by running the a/c in the "extreme arctic" mode. I think I might swap put my fleece jacket for a silk sleeping bag liner. It's about the same weight but much smaller.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA