Originally Posted By: hikermor
A vast subject, and depending upon the objectives and length of your trip, almost anything will work. I tend to favor oatmeal with fruits and various flavoring, good quantities of nuts and dried item like jerky and raisins. A good soup can really hit the spot. Sometimes your cook kit can be quite basic, so that you will be heating water and adding it to all kinds of things; at the other extreme you can carry portable ovens, etc. and undertake to fabricate baked goods and produce all sorts of delicacies.

A lot of things right from the supermarket do well in the woods (dehydrated potatoes, freeze dried fruit snacks, good old mac and cheese, as well as other pasta items). While more expensive, freeze dried meals usually work quite well.

Basically, take whatever appeals to you at a price and weight that you can tolerate, and items that don't overtax your culinary abilities. Fortunately we are pretty capable omnivores.

What hikermor said! :-)

My personal favorites are:

Dinner -chilie with bannock/stew with bannock
*I add instant rice to the mix while I'm cooking it to bulk it up. I either prep homemade before the trip and take it frozen, or bring freeze dried. (MH Chilie Mac is my fav of the freeze dried I've tried.)
*I think there are as many different bannock recipies and methods of cooking as there are days in a lifetime. Experiment!

Lunch - wraps or subs, soup or stew
*I add instant rice to soups and stews to bulk them up.
*Left-over or fresh banock is nice with soups and stew too
*Myfave wraps and sandwiches are good old PB&J OR hummas with spinach *smoked turkey is heavenly in warps and sandwiches, as are lettace, onion, tomato, cuke....

Breakfast - oatmeal or granola with fruit
*mixed with hot chocolate is great on cold mormings

Snacks - peanut butter with celery, trail mix with dried fruit and chocolate (peanut m&ms work well), oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies

Drinks - VIA, Tang, Koolaid hot chocolate

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA