Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
What is puzzling about this crash though is why was the pilot so off course to the north instead of flying west, especially in idea weather and with so many visual and distinct landmarks in the area. (I know that area very well.) It will be interesting to see the TSB report when it comes out.

There are more reasons to fly than just going from A to B in the most efficient and straight line posible. I know nothing about that area, but maybe they were sightseeing a bit before heading over to their destination.

I know I've flown indirect paths because I wanted to look at something while enroute to somewhere, that's the beuty with general aviation you can go and see what you want (for the most part).

And not to throw dirt on this sad situation, but just being a pilot does not automatically make one truly proficient in navigation. I have no idea if that's at all the case in this instance, but just thought it a valid point. People can get lost even with fantastic reference points, maps, knowledge, and skills to put it all to use if the right stress factors are introduced.