With so many different multi-tools and swiss army type knives available, I'm interested in a general discussion as to what individual tools are necessary to have to be "prepared" for general backcountry survival situations.<br><br>For the sake of discussion, I'm lumping multitools and Swiss Army knvies together. If it turns out I need pliers I'll probably choose a multitool, otherwise a Swiss Army knife. Hopefully I can find a tool with exactly the options I need, and nothing else.<br><br>For example, is a saw necessary to have on your multitool? What about pliers? I guess I understand what one does with pliers when fixing a car (at least abstractly)...but when camping/hiking what can pliers be used for? How about an awl? I believe I once read that Doug liked the fact that some of the Juice's had an awl (could be mistaken). But what does one use an awl for besides adding an extra hole in a leather belt :)<br><br>I've read Doug's pages on multitools, but they seem oriented towards pilots, not hikers/campers. One of the biggest differences is that since I'm always carrying the item while walking long distances, I'm trying to eliminate as many ounces as possible, while not foolishly eliminating anything.<br><br>More questions: Are scissors necessary? Do they need to be large or can they be the ones on my very mini swiss army knife? <br><br>I'd also be interested if people wanted to rank the order that things are necessary: for example are pliers more important than a saw? Is a file more important than a serrated blade? What does one use a file for in a survival situation anyway?<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>