Krista, if you're husband's military, you might want to talk to his command and see what plans they have in place to help the dependents if needed. Some places might be well-planned, others might be utterly lacking.

Re: knives - guns are typically much more complex. If you can handle a .40 compact, I'm sure the knife will be fine. The big downside of a Mora knife is that it's typically smooth handled, but they make some with a decent finger guard at the pommel. Ragnar's has a good selection (google him, yes, it's spelled correctly).

Food. Definitely second freeze dried, vice MRE's. Or, at least keep FD for the "sit-down" meals, ie, dinner. MRE or similar for lunch is OK. Pick your poison for breakfast - I used to do just instant oatmeal, grits or a power bar when I was camping a lot. Maybe consider a small fishing pole and kit. Fish would be a nice change of pace, and sometimes you can cut back a few pounds if you catch enough to feed yourself. Remember though, if you're bugging out, so is half the state...

Ultralight tents. No real preference or experience. I have a REI 1-person tent that I love. Probably most of the big name stuff will be fine. North Face, REI, Marmot, Outdoor Hardwear. You might want to find a good ultra-light forum and lurk for a few weeks before you purchase some of the bigger items, like tent, water filter, even a pack.

Clothes: Just make sure that you dedicate a lot of good quality, synthetics for you and your kid. I'd consider 3 pairs of underwear for each (kid's potty trained, I hope?) and 6 pairs of socks. You can rinse/dry as you filter water.

Regarding feminine hygiene. Don't know how many you packed, but if you're truly going to go 400 miles, I'd consider packing enough for 2 cycles. Murphy's law says it'll come twice, just to screw with you. On the other hand, biology sometimes will keep Aunt Flo away under an increased exercise burden... things to consider.

Edited by MDinana (08/12/12 02:42 PM)