You've got a really good kit here!

Originally Posted By: Krista
:MRE’s (Not sure how many to bring for myself and my almost 6 year old, Thoughts?)

You cannot hoof enough food to last 400 miles! So plan your bag for a shorter time horizon, somewhere in the neighborhood of three days. Can you carry three days' worth?

Quote:
Water Purification Tablets

Are these chlorine dioxide tablets? They're my suggestion for disinfection -- purification would include removing chemical contaminants, where disinfection kills organisms that might make you sick.

Quote:
Flashlight and Headlamp with extra batteries

Do these use LEDs? I strongly recommend lithium batteries, not alkalines.

Quote:
Flint striker thing
fire lighter/tinder combo
waterproof matches

Practice with these! Add a lighter -- It's hard to have too many methods of starting a fire.

Your first aid supplies seem to be lacking OTC meds. I'd suggest aspirin, ibuprofen, something for digestive upset, Benadryl, and a decongestant at a minimum.

Quote:
Ruger SR40C (I know a 9mm would be more practical, but I practice more with my .40)

Bring the gun that you shoot the best!

Also, consider that a .22 is not ideal for hunting larger game or for defense. Something in 5.56 might provide a wider spectrum of applications.

Quote:
Tarp or Tent and/or sleeping bag (Thoughts?)

A tent of a useful size can be hard to lug around. A sportsmans emergency blanket (like this one http://www.amazon.com/MPI-Weather-Emerge...rtsmans+blanket) or similar could make for an easier way to carry something with you that you could use to build a shelter. Make sure to have Heatsheets with you for warmth as well.

Quote:
Knife (I keep one in my pocket, but want one just for my bag)

Like fire-making methods and bandaids, it's hard to have too many knives.

A method to charge your cellphone. I prefer something that uses AA batteries as (with lithium cells) they last the longest in storage.

A radio capable of picking up local stations and NWS weather radio.

Some way to cut branches and the like. Most wire saws are pretty awful, consider a pruning saw or similar.

Contractor bags

A compact gun cleaning kit

Paper and pen

Small pry bar (like a Countycomm widgy bar)

Duct tape

Small camping stove -- an Esbit stove stores practically forever and is inexpensive

Sunscreen

Bug spray