Hello Everyone. I am FINALLY working on my BOB. Finally. I was hoping that you all would be willing to review my status thus far, and offer advice tailored to my specific situation. I’ll summarize. I am in okay health, a little overweight but working on it every day with a more healthy diet and active lifestyle. I am 5’4” with little muscle, but I’m working on that too. I’ve been carrying a pack every time we go on our walks. I have a 5 (almost 6) year old daughter who would be traveling with me.

Obviously, first choice is stay in place, 2nd choice is use the car. Last resort is travel to our destination on foot. This is the bag I am making for the event that we have to travel on foot. I have a small sized dog that will be traveling with us. He will not be able to carry anything, except maybe a small bit of his own food. I have taken pictures and listed what I have and what I will be adding within the next two weeks. I would really really appreciate it if you guys could take a minute to think about my situation, and let me know where I’m lacking and what I can do to improve. Also, as a side note. My destination is quite far away, around 400 miles... (but I have no other location available to me, that’s my only option IF my home becomes unsafe).

Here is a picture of my pack (If I can remember how to post a picture)

Here's a picture of the gear I have so far

Here's a picture of the first aid gear I have so far

And, here's a written list. If I didn't do the pictures right... well... sorry. crazy

What I Have General:

MRE’s (Not sure how many to bring for myself and my almost 6 year old, Thoughts?)
Water Purification Tablets
Stainless Steel Water bottle
Folding Shovel
Gerber Multi Tool
Flashlight and Headlamp with extra batteries
Flint striker thing
fire lighter/tinder combo
waterproof matches
Signal Mirror
Compass
Mini Survival Guide Book (I have a copy that I read regularly, this is the spare)
Paracord (will be wrapped around straps and in a very fashionable bracelet)
Ammunition

What I Have First Aid:

Sterile Combine Pad
Iodine Solution
Gauze Bandage
Burn Dressing (I’m clumsy arund fire)
Antibiotic Ointment
Random Combo of Bandages Swiped from Hubby’s Gear
Band-Aids
Medical Tape
Hand sanitizer/sanitizer combo
Toothpaste
Feminine Products

Defense/Hunting:

Ruger 10/22
Ruger SR40C (I know a 9mm would be more practical, but I practice more with my .40)

What I Know I will be adding very soon:

Toothbrush
Hotel Size Soap
Bed Roll
Tarp or Tent and/or sleeping bag (Thoughts?)
Knife (I keep one in my pocket, but want one just for my bag)
Map (I have a map, from google maps, but I hate the route and want to get topos to make my own route. And, yes, I actually do have a destination, and yes, I do know how to read maps)
Small Supply of Dog Food (Figure I will share with him anything I’m lucky enough to catch)
Extra Medications
Tylenol
Antidiarrheal medicine
Backpacker’s Stove
Mess Kit
Small fishing setup of some sort

So, advice, suggestions anyone? Also, advice for how to organize this mess?? I hate that it seems so scattered and random, but I am not sure how to organize it better.

PS. If this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry. I put it here because the bug out would definitely be longer than 5 days. Please move is this the wrong spot!

Edited by Krista (08/09/12 11:40 PM)
Edit Reason: added a ps

~Marion C. Garretty