Quote:
Not being a pilot, I fail to see any distinction at all when it comes to this video. This was a crash, IMHO.
I'm sorry, I wasn't being clear!

Post no.2 here links to a thread I had previously posted asking for comments about choices of where to make a forced landing - using the words "picking your place to crash".

There's a difference between a "crash" and a forced landing. In my thread was asking about places to make a forced landing, not about places to "crash".

Why is this important? Almost everyone who doesn't fly light aircraft wrongly believes that any in-flight emergency immediately results in the aircraft diving at increasing speed head-first towards the ground and is followed by an inevitable "crash". In truth, while it's not impossible for that to happen, it's not a common scenario. As someone who frequently uses light aircraft as a method of transportation I have had to do a considerable amount of difficult advocacy in that respect with people who are close to me, like my Mother-in-law.

I'm 100% sure that what Russ intended in Post no. 2 was just light-hearted, but I'm sensitive on the subject. I was attempting to take a responsible attitude to pre-flight planning and it undoes some of the education we pilots have to do for my MiL, or someone like her, to see it linked to by the words "picking your place to crash".

As far as the video goes, four big dudes in a plane with only four seats is certainly suspicious as far as overloading goes. But that's just speculation.

Edited by Jarvis (08/09/12 01:25 PM)