Mark,

The tape is tabbed for easy removal, once again hard to see in the picture. I find gorilla tape far superior to everything else I have laid hands on thus far. Man that stuff is awesome. It is strong and will re-stick several times before needing to be trashed. I am not fond of wrapping cord round the tin. I may be wrong but it seems it would be an awful PITA to have to unwrap it every time I wanted in the tin. OTOH, I should only ever need it in an emergency (or to swap batteries etc) so maybe I should consider it further. Good catch on the striker/firesteel. I will be tying both together promptly and prehaps put some glow tape on the flat surface of the striker as well. I thought about adding some hooks etc but it is really only intended as a very short term kit. If I am missing it won't take long before someone raises the alarm. I am a firm believer of always using a solid plan before heading out alone. OTOH, once again a few hooks weigh nothing so I suppose it couldn't hurt to have them. The twine may work as fishing line in a pinch.

BPJack,

You wouldn't have been at black bear beach the other day by chance? I saw a woman who looked identical to your avatar picture.(minus the winter garb of course)

That guy is lucky someone happened along of he may have been in the news in a bad way. I an no prepardness expert, but no life vest or phone? Wow.....I couldn't even imagine being that stupid. My life is worth more to me than that.

I just picked up a few pelican boxes today. One that specificaly fits my iphone/mophie case. That will fine a home in my vest as well. If I go over and need help, the phone is no good to me once I am safely on shore and the kayak is underwater or swept downriver. I think I would rather have it on my person vise in my gear which is secured to the boat in one of those button hatches. It floats too. The PSK however, does not. Found out the hard way today....

Andy,

Thanks for the int on the grimlocs. Believe it or not I have about 20 of these kicking around from overseas but have not used them yet. I had feared they would pop open on me. Survival aside I would be rather pi**ed to lose my favorite knife. 80 lbs is a lot of force. I will give them a try if they are that good. I have had no problems with an S biner either, but I am a little wary of the fact they don't lock. Will they pop if thet twist? (grimlocs I mean) Just wondering.

Helpful stuff guys (and girl) Thank you smile

Edited by Stephen (08/08/12 10:28 PM)