I have been involved in disaster work of one form or another for over 50 years. I don't plan for a disaster.....

I plan multiple contingencies, each an individual component to be selected as the problem unfolds.

Communications, Medical, Shelter and so forth are components. Even if I am mentally confused, I can revert to the training for a particular component.

I do make lists... lots of lists. Sometimes I even use them. The most useful describe short tasks. How to set up a radio system. Which items I need to grab and go.

I break it all into the smallest manageable tasks, then practice the task and document it well.

After an event, I spend quite a bit of time compiling an "After Action Report". The military taught me how valuable it can be. I even write them down formally, like it was going to be sent somewhere. It forces me to examine each component I used, how I planned to use it, how I really did use it and what worked and what did not.

All that may seem a bit obsessive, but it always seems to be worth the effort. I am constantly amazed at how poorly I perform as opposed to how I think I will perform. But then I try to set very high standards. Gives me room to improve.

Nomad