Originally Posted By: wildman800
I am not that familiar with the 182, hence I was thinking it had retractable landing gear like the 206. I stand corrected.

I am not recommending Ted Lawson's account for any purpose other than it's description of the force encountered when the landing gear comes into contact with a watery surface.

The biggest problem IRT to a water landing is to keep the aircraft from flipping or cartwheeling. Getting out of the aircraft aft coming to a stop is the next major problem.

grin Well, the 206 is also fixed gear, no retract option.

yes, every ditching survivor i have spoken with comments on their shortest landing ever. You will stop RIGHT NOW!

There is nothing in the data to suggest that flipping oir cartwheeling is a huge problem, nor, given the very high success rates, that even if it did, it has much impact on survival rates. To be avoided if at all possible, for sure, but not to be feared as certain death. Virtually every survivor i have spoken with, whether they flipped or not (and most did not), had no prior egress training and they still do very well. Pilots need to understand that as off-airport forced landings go, a ditching under control is one of the safest you can execute. Having a positive frame of mind helps.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com