Somehow I suspect both highline wires and ploughed fields are both in short supply in the North West Territories!

I am informed and have been formally trained by those who conduct underwater egress training that to "release all restraing belts and open the doors" is actually entirely the wrong thing to do. You should open the door before impact, wait until you can open the door fully in the water (you may be upside down, submersed, and holding your breath, and in the dark, by this point). You should take hold of the door frame (as you will have practiced many times, with your eyes shut) finding it by reference to the position of your left (or right) knee or shoulder. Take firm hold of the door frame with one hand and only then release your safety belt or harness with the other and pull yourself immediately towards and through the door. Never release yourself into the cabin until you have a firm hold on the airframe and understand where your are trying to get to in relation to that hold. Otherwise you risk spinning around and becoming disoriented. People drown because they mistakenly swim away from the exit.

A Cessna 182 has a fixed undercarriage, so I can't leave it in the 'up' position ... and unlike some low-wing aircraft, typically they don't float, they sink as soon as the cabin fills with water which is usually before you can open the door. Hence my concerns about escaping with equipment.

Having the wings tear off is not a bad idea, in a forced landing. It absorbs a lot of energy and leaves the fuel tanks far behind you. My aircraft is old enough to have rubber fuel bladders - they're extremely unlikely to rupture.

I'm reasonably confident in my knowledge and training in how to carry out both kinds of forced landings to the optimum, it's what happens next that I'm interested in!

EDIT: I see Doug beat me to some of that...

Edited by Jarvis (07/29/12 05:58 PM)