I installed a yard hydrant about 18 months ago (one of those faucets you can use in all weather, the valve is below ground and it won't freeze up).

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the ground around the bottom of the hydrant was always wet, so assuming a leak, I dug things up, and that's when the troubles started.

My soil is VERY much clay in most places, including under the yard hydrant. The problem is that the normal operation of the yard hydrant requires it to be able to drain the riser after using it, and that's where my trouble is.

Leaving the pit open to check for leaks, I decided to evaluate the drain rate of the pit. Basically, it's not draining at all - it's a perfect clay lined pool. Now, the main issue is that this yard hydrant comes up in my shed - I use it to water my chickens, and in winter time, it's really nice to have access to water from within the shed - so relocating the hydrant is the least best option. I've noticed that there is a threaded fitting at the valve assembly, so I could run the riser drain elsewhere...but where? Any other ideas? A deeper pit? Something else?