Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i plan to get rid of my new ones.using them to chase a bear out of my camp could leave me in a world of hurt from the blow-back.

I don't know, in my books a 98% chance of walking away relatively unharmed if I come into contact with an an aggressive bear makes any hassle or potential discomfort from the after effects worthwhile.

For me, the improved likelihood of me walking away from such a situation is more important than the possibility of experiencing discomfort or inconvenience if I walk away from the encounter.

It's also worth noting the likelihood of experiencing discomfort if you use spray against a bear based on the data that's available. Tom Smith's research paper on the 83 known bear spray incidents in Alaska (the one I linked to above) noted that in 10 cases the user reported minor irritation and in 2 cases near incapacitation was reported.

All that said, it is definitely a good warning to be extra careful regarding the storage of spray; I might have to move mine out of the dresser in my bedroom! That also reminds me, I've been meaning to look into making a storage & transport container out of PVC pipe with a screw on cap (something along these lines).

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i found it hard to believe that it could be so nasty and just about impossible to wash away.i would think you would have to move out of any camp you blasted a bear in.

I think this is absolutely necessary; from what I understand, bears are attracted to the ingredients in the spray after it's been dispersed (it is food) and are therefore likely to return.