Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
A situation like this is another good reason to get yourself and your family first aid and cpr certified. More than just a delay in recieving medical care, there might not be anyone on the other end of the phone to walk you through emergency medical care until the EMTs arrive.

Just to add to this, I think this is a good example of why a Wilderness first aid course is better to take than a regular Red Cross or St. John's course. Wilderness first aid is taught with the underlying assumption that an ambulance is hours, or even days, away.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
We were taught that CPR could bring a kid back, but unless you can get help quickly adult CPR wasn't likely to work.

I think this is along the same lines, but the instructor of the wilderness first aid I took said that CPR can often be more effective in the wild than in the city. The basic premise was that in the wild you are less likely to be performing CPR on someone in poor health with a weak heart, but rather it is more likely you would be performing it on an otherwise healthy and active individual who suffered some sort of trauma (e.g., lightning, a fall, etc). In other words, you are more likely to run into someone in distress who had an otherwise healthy heart and therefore they were more likely to be revived.