In a survival situation, the most useful skill anyone will possess is the ability to innovate novel solutions from existing materials. Obviously, the broader one's background and the greater one's knowledge of alternative technologies, the more options one has. So it makes sense to be aware of so-called "primitive" approaches. ( I agree with Chris that this is a poor term.) Many of these technologies are actually quite effective - stone axes cut trees very well, up to a certain size, although the motor habits are quite different, and chipped stone tools have very sharp edges, although they dull quickly, and need sharpening very frequently.<br><br>People long ago voted on the more effective technology - metal tools replaced stone very quickly the world over, whenever people had a choice, so there is little question as to what I want to carry on my belt. Still, if I lost my knife, and I find the right rock, it is nice to know about chipped stone.<br><br>Another point to make is that the critical items in "primitive"technologies are not universally available. Not every rock will make a knife, and not every kind of wood will make a bowdrill. Hint: every culture that made fire with non-match and later technologies also devised very elaborate and careful ways to carry burning coals with them when on the move - this being easier than relighting the fire. Again, I carry matches and lighters to be sure I don't have to use primitive techniques. There is no guarantee that if I crawl up on shore, having lost everything, that I will find the necessary items at hand. These days, I am just as likely to find a fully functioning flashlight or an unopened can of pop on the beach, as the components of a fire making kit.<br><br>I couldn't agree more with you, Chris, about cultural theft. It is quite a racket these days, especially here in La-la-land, where appearance is everything and substance is lacking. I have a rule of thumb, based on many encounters - the more "authentic" the appearance i.e., the more native jewelry worn, the longer the hair, etc. the less likely the individual is authentically Native American. The people I know, with solid bloodlines and a family tradition of nurturing their cultural identity, do not feel the need to dress up like they just came from Central Casting.<br><br>