Originally Posted By: Lono
No idea what a survival glove is, but I like these for operating my chainsaw in cold and wet weather:

http://countycomm.com/gloves.html

You can also get cheaper knockoffs in a 6 pack at Costco, but those don't wear as well as the ones I got at CountyComm, 4 years and still going strong. Thin, great grip, great dexterity - all worthy of the survival moniker when working with a running chainsaw, where the object of the game is to not slice open a leg artery (for which I wear kevlar chaps, naturally).

Otherwise I use inexpensive garden leather gloves for moving debris in my emergency kits, backed by slightly more expensive leather gloves for when those wear out. The leather gloves have enough room to wear surgical gloves underneath in the event we're doing S&R and come upon a victim. I ran through a pair of the leather gloves yesterday in one session of moving deck wood from the front yard to the back, a split opened up on the back side of one hand, so I wouldn't expect to get more than a day or two of moving debris from them. so pack at least two.

In cold weather when shoveling snow for shelters I wear dishwasher gloves - actually they are neoprene gloves from Home Depot sold in the tile section of the store, a bit heftier and less prone to rips - instead of cold weather insulated gloves. I can fit a pair of the CountyComm gloves underneath if I want some insulation, and in the end I wear warm and dry insulated gloves when we're all done or when I just want to reduce the cold from shoveling. If you're building a snow shelter in anything else, expect to pack 2-3 pair of insulated gloves as they will get plenty wet and lose their effectiveness.

I suppose that given the variety of glove solutions I use for 'survival', the point would be there is no one-all be-all survival glove, just the pair that works for the work at the moment.

thanks for the link