I'm still considering buying a second multi-tool for my BOB, but I'm now also considering just going with standard tools. Multi-tools are always a compromise. They make up for that by having things handy and readily available - for when you have nothing better to use.

I'm thinking maybe a 6" pair of needlenose, a screwdriver with multiple bits stored in the handle, a Mora Clipper, and a P-51 can opener might be a cheaper and better replacement for a new multi-tool. Especially since I already have spares of all that stuff laying around unused - so my cost would be zilch. Standard tools would take up slightly more space and weigh just a tad more than a Leatherman, but not enough to worry about really.

I starting thinking about standard tools instead of a new multi-tool when I began analyzing what I have actually used on my current Wave to help decide what I might want on a new model. Pliers, yes. Screwdrivers, yes. The plain edge knife, yes (only if my pocket knife wasn't readily available - very rare). But that's it. Never used the serrated blade, the file, the saw, the can/bottle opener, the scissors, ... That analysis made me wonder why I was even considering a multi-tool for my BOB at all.

Still haven't decided one way or the other. I'm just speaking my thought processes out loud in this post.